More than a rich delicious beverage, as it turns out coffee is a rich, complex worldwide conversation that has carried on through generations. It's a crazy caffeinated world out there and Arouse Coffee offers some insights into this fascinating coffee subculture - because well, thoughtfulness & knowledge are so SEXY:
- Coffee plants only grow in the tropical region along the equator and come from roasting a fruit seed that originally came from the highlands of Ethiopia in northeastern Africa. Perhaps the most known African aphrodisiac is extracted from the bark of the yohimbe tree, a relative of the coffea tree, which can be found in West Africa.
- Bach wrote a coffee cantata in 1732.
- Coffee statistics show that coffee is the most popular beverage worldwide with over 400 billion cups consumed each year.
- Italy now has over 200,000 coffee bars, and still growing. The first commercial espresso machine was manufactured in Italy in 1906. Espresso is to Italy what champagne is to France, making coffee and espresso synonymous there. Viva Italia.
- Coffee industry statistics show that only 20% of harvested coffee beans are considered to be a premium bean of the highest quality. Coffee market statistics show that coffee is grown commercially in over 45 countries around the world.
- The United States imports in excess of $4 Billion worth of coffee per year making it the world's leading consumer of coffee. 54% of Americans drink coffee daily averaging 3.1 cups per day, while another 25% drink coffee occasionally. Coffee represents 75% of all caffeine consumed in the US. In 2008, 17% of US population drinks at least 1 gourmet coffee beverage daily while in 2007, coffee consumption surpassed daily soft-drink consumption.
- 35% of coffee drinkers prefer black coffee and 60% prefer to add sugar and/or cream.
- Women indicated that drinking coffee is a good way to relax, but men indicated that coffee helps them get the job done.
Check back here often for our frequent musings on the world of coffee, upcoming coffee events, and interesting articles we think you'll enjoy too. An Arouse Coffee drinker is an INFORMED and curious coffee drinker...